Friday, March 16, 2007

SPM results

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2007/3/15/focus/17143795&sec=focus

It has been encouraging to find out that two Chinese students, one from Bukit Mertajam and one from Sabah(can't remember which school/town), have obtained 16A1s in SPM. Notably, each of the two girls has at least one parent who is a medical practitioner. And yet, no top scorer has been declared this year. I am bitterly reminded of my own year, in which much hype was raised over a 17A1 achievement that caused me to pack my bag abruptly one day in my JC1 year and rush to KL.

I read in The Star that certain prominent people are now claiming that the number of subjects taken by an SPM student do not matter and that it is pointless to declare a top student because each student has his or her own strengths and weaknesses. I agree on both counts, but why has this view not been consistent over the past years, but instead only surfaced this time? Personally, I am of no doubt that the number of subjects taken is still just a number. However, this number seems to have been taken very seriously with certain groups of people, yet apparently ignored for other groups.

*is asked whether interested in eating, then, suddenly and without negotiation, is relegated to watching the luggage while the adults go and eat*

*internal complaint*"Hey!?! What's the big idea leaving me to guard the luggage while you go and eat??? Well, at least it gives me time to continue this... But train of thought has been interrupted... Oh by the way, I'm in KL sitting in the lobby of Cititel Hotel in MidValley and I'm heading back home tonight after 3 weeks of KL and Singapore alternating.

Ah yes. Anyway, this lack of consistency is annoyingly obvious. And something tells me that if it were not for the need for certain financial aid, some people would be complaining about this. As it is, only one brave soul has dared to do so in an opinion to The Star.

Just thinking about it frustrates me... Gah!

No comments: